Saturday, October 8, 2011

Life in Chennai

Chennai Central Railway Station

I got selected for Amazon and my way to Chennai became very clear.10th July 2011 is the day when I came to Chennai. Like others I was also afraid about climate of Chennai. But Chennai is not so hot in this time of the year nor it was in july.

Night life in Chennai is not as wild as in other Metro’s. They have a valid reason for it. Chennaites don't want to make Chennai a  place where people will drink eat and enjoy in night and sleep in day.

Google Search is required to find good pub/bars in Chennai ( if you really enjoy in these places ). But to find huge peaceful temples are very easy. In-fact you can find at-least one temple in every one km radius. Truly a holy place it is.


I forget to take my key one day. Called my roomy and he told he will come around 10pm. I sat on stairs started my laptop. Suddenly from second floor a man with white hair came and asked me why you are sitting on stairs. If you forget key come to our house. I told its ok uncle. No-no come , and he opened his door for me (This was my first meet with him). I can bet you in Delhi or Bangalore no one will invite strangers to their house. Chennai is so cultured and homely place. People will welcome you with full of their heart The only things which you need  is to understand and accept their culture.

Tamil still has its importance in Chennai as in rest of Tamilnadu but if you learn at least few common words like saptingla (had food ) , theriyam ( know ), theriyad ( don't know ), you will feel comfortable here. Even  cab drivers are fluent in English here. We can find here many Hindi speaking people also.

When you say "Vanakkam" (Greetings in Tamil ) they will become so happy and glad,. I realized it when I used this vanakkam magic wand with elders I met in the garden. Chennai is not a garden city like Bangalore. You can hardly find any garden in Chennai. But I had one near my home ( I am lucky :-p )

Jeans , t shirts are common dress for youngsters in Chennai as in other parts of India these days but still lungi/dhoti and other traditional dress has its own importance here. :-p.

Murgan idly amazed me. What a traditional way of serving food with 4 types of different tasty coconut chuttnies. They served everything on banana leaf. No spoons. But the taste is so good that I forget all so called eating etiquette and started with the most hygienic tool of eating (of-course hand)


Public transport in Chennai is much better than other metro's. Can you believe bus charged me Rs 4.50 for 9km distance.Yes 50paise per km. I am sure you cannot find cheaper transport in any metro. Although road jams are common in chennai also but in comparison to other metros it is surely less here. Electricity is  also very cheap here and not much power cuts.


I have shown draft version of this blog to my roomie ( Dheeraj ) and his reaction is -" your blog is looking one sided everything is good about chennai ". It should show the other side also.

I was thinking if my experience is not bad in chennai why should I write the other side. But the God fullfill everyone wishes. Same happened with Dheeraj wish. I got the chance. 4/9/11 wednesday was the rainy day in Chennai. I have already opted out my pickup cab option. I started from my home in Besant Nagar towards Tiruvanmiyur Depo to catch an auto for my office. All roads were full of waters. Its like Ganga , Yamuna all together flowing into Chennai Roads. Even main roads like OMR (Old Mahabalipuram Road) were full  of water.
Then i realized that opting out from office pickup was a big mistake



Yes one thing I found bad in Chennai is climatic conditions with worst drainage system.

I am going to complete my 4th month in chennai on 10th Nov and I can say Chennai is not a bad place to live.
I still want to go to bangalore, but now not because I don't like Chennai , my some close/dear friends are in bangalore with whom I want to spent lot of time.

Dedicating this post to them. Come to Chennai at-least to visit if don't want to settle here.. Its a nice cultural place.

38 comments:

  1. going through ur commnets its seems that chennai is a nice place though the culture is so different , so much language problem , hot weather still i find this place gud..want to visit this place once now..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya sour sir ji, we will definatly visit d chennai,,,!
    and sir most important thing directly or indirectly we ppl geting a lots of knowledge from u and ur blogs....

    really nice sir!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir, Its good to know that you are finding chennai good, which suggests how nice the place is. Hoping that you would have good time there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Varun for sharing your experiences. I really enjoyed your writtings. It is interactive enouth to make me feel as if i am experiencing all of these. Actually it is a good habit to capture our experiences using technology as you are making best use of it through maintianing blog. have visited chennai before but after going through your writting, am tempted to visit again. Hope it will be a good time to move around chennai wih your accompany. I read that your friend said that it is one sided writing but i tell you it also depend on the person's perspective that how s/he look at the things. you are a very positive person that everything you see around you, you will always take them to positive way from that. Hope to see you in the garden city of bangalore at the earliest!!Good luck!! Regards-Nirag Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ur blog name shd be "Beautiful Chennai through my eyes" n ppl if u find difficulty after gng to chennai call varun he will introduce u to some gd autowalas n houseowners.Hey now a days u were jeans or traditional dhoti? u just told abt the bus fare wht abt train n taxi fare..common rainy season shdnt b a problem for ppl who know swimming.Last one: Happy 2 know abt chennai climate atleast their is one living person enjoying it..

    ReplyDelete
  6. its gud that u are enjoying there. would like to visit chennai once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice formal presentation of Chennai. I believe u missed out your fave hangout place... The beach :)


    P.S. - bhai "SAMANYA" ki English me spelling seekh.. its COMMON not conman/comman :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, very good article Varun!
    ab to Chennai aane ka man kar raha hai yaar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also have visited Chennai two three times, in fact one thing good about South India is that the culture which we are slowly loosing they are preserving or holding to it. I am in Andhra and I really like the way people dress here even young girls. The kind of respect you develop for such people is which you will find hard to develop in our northern states. Of course bad sides are always there but we should catch the good and try to imbibe deeply into our heart. Thank you for your nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Varun, Good. You have portrayed Chennai in beautiful words. Even I have similar experience about Chennai as of now(not sure if I will change my mind in March, April). Chennai is not that bad which has been told to rest of India. I was little bothered about coming to Chennai for my new job.But everything went very smooth. I too liked Dosa, Idly from "Murgan Idly shop" :).
    So far I met many of the persons from Chennai,they are my colleagues and neighbors, all are simply amazing. They really deserve special accolades whenever chennai story will be written.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dude so nice n simply shown us the Chennai culture..i like it..sure will come to meet U(of course for visit :P)....The -ve part is common every where dude..chill maaar!!! if i post abt Hyd roads n all i can use the word "Ocean".. :P But the culture U won't get every where.No where people will show that affection as u xperienced in chennai...Keep posting.. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  12. :-) Lucky guy !
    Good to know u having wonderful time, unlike the guys share their views.
    Or may be its because of your positive heart that is making things look nice.

    Chal good writing. Keep writing.
    khaana to enjoy kar liya,dhoti kab pehenn rha hai ?? pic jaroor lagaana. will wait :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. probably first time in life, i heard some outsider praising chennai ;) sounds good :) i also have wish to visit chennai:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. yaar it made me miss my idly and dosa at shravanas..nd how can you describe chennai in complete widout even a single reference from chenaai film industry..and moreover rajnikaanth...

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful sir,.... simple to read and really liked the way its been put up... liked this style of expressing thins....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome way to express culture( heart ) of Chennai.......!!!!
    Thnxx sirji....to clear some doubts abt Chennai.....serene....:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice post Varun. U showed us a different Chennai through ur narration.
    As in one of the above comments Ur blog name should be "Beautiful Chennai through my eyes".
    All best in Chennai.. Keep posted about ur experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read through atleast a dozen blogs that blindly criticize chennai, kerala etc. I'm from kerala, it has always irritated me when people magnify a particular gross experience of theirs and portray that as the culture of the place. I liked your post because you've been very frank. Its true that chennai people treat even strangers as guests. Especially the elder people there just love to talk to youngsters, probably cos we remind them of their children. Food is good, but places are dirty. Yes, the place has faults, but trust me, there are more plus points than minuses. Cheers! Enjoy your time there pal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Varun. Awesome Yaar. Your blog is Awesome. The way you write is Awesome. The comments are Awesome. Chennai is also Awesome. Keep it up.!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is the strength of our culture. With all the external changes the internal survives. The adaptability of Bhartiya Samskriti is the reason why it has survived the longest and fiercest attacks from all over the world.
    Dear Varun, Very brave sharing of Positive experiences.
    I had the same kind of experiences in other metros also. Even in Delhi the majority is still near to culture. you go to colonies like Patelnagar, Punjabibag or the old sadar bazar and you will find same caring Bharatiya Culture.
    I know Gurgaon and NOIDA are also in NCR but that is because they are still new and have to cope up with the novelty of western culture. I am sure this pub culture will wear out and the SANATAN will still remain.

    ReplyDelete
  21. what an intriguing blog dude. really captures the whole essence of beloved chennai. with such simplified words and smooth thoughts you have succefully presented a face of this city which is more or less inaccessible to most people stranger to this land. be it cuisine or culture or clothing, you covered it all in a flowing manner. immaculate work.

    -saket

    ps - no more pings

    ReplyDelete
  22. you have expressed your experience in so wonderful way..
    nicely written article.....

    ReplyDelete
  23. frankly speaking, beautiful blog sir and I hope you will enjoy in future as the same right now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice to here so many good things about Chennai.
    Wanted to visit once after reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hey bhaijaan..!!
    varun vichaar is telling me to visit chennai soon..
    so,,send me the tickets ASAP..:-P

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats Dude.. you finally did it..!!

    -Vikky

    ReplyDelete
  27. very good anylyze of a city, and its good to know that you enjoyed ur life in tamil region also with their food and culture, really it is true that when you accept the people they enjoyed you, and good to know still our culture and values are alive in the metro like chennai

    ReplyDelete
  28. grt findings in few month of stay itself.. u really moving fast dude :) .. after reading this blog i re-lived the grt moments of my 2 yrs of stay in chennai.. i dont see chennai as a metro.. bt spl metro :) .. rumbha nalla.... !!Chennai rocks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. as per all of your comment I also want to visit Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  30. good hai yar now u r a blogger.u have focused only on Chennai what about other parts????????????????


    Sunahari Lal

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice blog on chennai. And i like the narration with photos very much .... looking forward for ur future Bolgs ....

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dude its an awesome article portraying almost everything about Chennai but its strange that in my life first time someone has written so much positive things about Chennai.I never heard that people are so helpful in Chennai.Happy to know someone is enjoying in Chennai.I am now tempted now to visit Chennai to have the awesome experience as portrayed by you.I think credit should be given to you for pulling best things out of worst things portrayed by other people.
    Looking forward for your blog on New Delhi ......

    ReplyDelete
  33. interesting..... but what about the language problem.....:P

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good post and objective observations. Looking forward to seeing a Top 10 Best and Top 10 Worst ways-of-lives that you observed in Madras !!

    Cheers
    Varahasimhan

    ReplyDelete
  35. Its true that you won't feel the pride of your region unless told and compared by someone who have been around many places! Nice narration Varun Ji and I wonder why you stopped your thoughts with only two posts. Whenever you think about this I hope you'll feel that you are travelling back in time to Chennai :)

    ReplyDelete